Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A New Beginning

Today I woke with a different outlook on life. I told Sheila last night that I wanted to pray to God before I even put my feet on the floor to get out of bed. We learned on Sunday in Sunday School to take up our cross daily, but I have never really put that to heart.
After reading the Bible passage for today, I got up and went downstairs, and before I said anything to the kids, I stepped back and thought about what I was going to say and how. The whole feel of the morning was different. After breakfast, we started school, and Jason's Bible study for today was 1 Thess 5:11-23. The curriculum had each verse broken down, and I was blown away that God had brought this verse back to my mind, and this was a great lead in to talk to Jason and Rachel both about how I feel our family is not living out what we believe in God's Word. I don't know how long we discussed the verses, probably like 30 minutes, but it was the best 30 minutes I have had with them since we started homeschooling. That discussion set the mood for the rest of the day. I was so happy to be teaching them, they were happy to be taught, and I noticed that the whole tone to today was different. I wasn't raising my voice, and the kids weren't at each other's throats. We all agreed that when we go to church, or when we are hanging out with our Christian friends, we are one way, but then we are different when we are at home. God doesn't really like that.
As the day went on, I caught all of us in general just being kind. I blame myself for the mood of the household, but praise God, He can forgive me and set me back on the right track.
After lunch, I decided to take the kids on base and bowl a few games. I bowled rather poorly, but I had fun just being with Jason and Rachel and trying to encourage them to have fun, and not worry about the score. I felt like we had been working so hard this month, and really haven't taken a break for anything, so we had just forgotten how to have fun. The weather has been so cold, so we haven't even been able to go outside to play.
After bowling, we returned home, and I explained to the kids that I needed to rest, b/c I talked to Jennie last night until 12:30, so I hadn't gotten much sleep. Rachel watched a Care Bears movie, and Jason finished reading his book, and I think I was able to sleep for about 20 minutes. That's all I needed. I so appreciated that they could let me have some rest.
I then got supper ready and we left for Upward practice. I took the Zumba class again, and it is such a stress reliever, I leave there feeling like I have 30 lbs off my chest. Chris called and said his plane was on time, and he landed in Dayton around 9:00 and was home by 9:45. I thank God he made it back home safely tonight and didn't have to wait until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment